Broiler poultry farming is one of the most profitable livestock business. Broiler is the most popular bird in poultry farming. Broilers are reared/look after for commercial marketing of the chicken meat.
Poultry meat is an important source of high quality proteins, minerals and vitamins to balance the human diet. Depending on the farm size, broiler farming can be a main source of family income or can provide subsidiary income and gainful employment to farmers throughout the year.
Here are the some major points to consider to start Broiler Poultry Farming-
1. For poultry farming schemes with large outlays Detailed Project Reports are required to be
2. The items of investment / finance would include construction of broiler sheds and purchase
of equipment, cost of day old chicks, feed, medicine and labour cost etc.
3. Day old chick with good quality should be selected.
4. Should have clean water pipelines
5. Cost towards land development, water and electricity, essential servant’s wages, godowns, transport vehicles, broiler dressing, processing and cold storage facilities can also be considered for providing credit.
6. For high value projects, the borrowers can utilise the services of NABARD Consultancy Services who are having wide experience in preparation of Detailed Project Reports.
7. A project can be prepared by the promoter after consulting local technical persons of State
Veterinary / Animal Husbandry department, Poultry Corporation or private commercial broiler
8. If possible, they should also visit the progressive broiler farmers in the area and discuss the profitability of farming.
9. A good practical training and experience on a broiler farm will be highly desirable, before starting a broiler farm.
10. The project should include the following information on Technical, Financial and Managerial aspects in detail based on type of unit and capacity.